20.9.10

True Blood Mondays are Over


It took me far too long to realise that it was Monday this morning. And Monday usually means True Blood from the night before, though not today. And then I realised that the finale had happened a week ago and I had written nothing on the subject, which is explained by my ambivalence about the whole thing.

It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't good. For those of us hoping to end the season with a naked Eric on the roadside anyway. If you were stupid enough (like me) to keep on hoping until the last 3 minutes that this is how they were going to end things, then more fool you! I suspected I would be disappointed, but the mention of Jesus and the witches got my hopes up. This had better happen next year or I shall be having words with Mr Ball. Maybe. Probably not - I'm not that organised.

Things I would like to see less of next season: Bill in general, Sam and his amazing retconning storyline, Tara crying, anything involving a Mickens, Arlene and Terry (though Terry on his own is fine), gore, the fae realm - which resembles the backdrop from a Sylvanian Families advert and Jason continuing to be wasted on crap like in-bred panthers. Russell Edgington and his beloved Talbot were truly marvellous but not even they can counteract all the fail this year.

I do like True Blood. It's cheesy and tacky in the best way. I love what Alan Ball has done with the books, using them as reference rather than fact, expanding some great minor characters (LaFayette in particular) and getting rid of others. Alcide was well done, surprisingly, and I love Jessica. But with these extra characters, with taking the focus away from Sookie, things get claggy quite easily.

I'd like to see the show spread a little less thin. And more naked Eric, of course. Always.

No comments: